20060129

The 800 Pound Gorilla


The 800 Pound Gorilla

What can be said about the recent Palestinian election where Hamas was swept into power with a mandate that George Bush and Stephen Harper could only dream about.

Of course, the political neophytes have their work cut out for them. Israel doesn't seem interested in talking with Hamas. And it looks like they are going to have a difficult time should the economic assistance from the West suddenly dry up.

Of course, should the West decided to abandon the Palestinians and Hamas, this leaves the door open to the Iranian government. I imagine that Iran would not deny economic assistance because Hamas won't recongnize Israel.

Or maybe, just maybe, the West will re-think its position fearing the hegemony of a Nuclear Iran in the Middle East. And we know what a wonderful motivator fear can be upon a large segment of the US electorate.

And, who in their "right" mind would turn their back upon an 800 Pound Gorilla?


Update: The Saudis knew that Hamas would win. And they credit the policy of the Bush Adminstration.

6 Comments:

Blogger Sarah Elaine said...

Hey, nice to see you're expanding into the international arena!

1/29/2006 9:26 PM  
Blogger M A F said...

Hey, doesn't Canada count as international?

This is not the first time Sarah. In the archives you will find other cartoons covering international politics.

1/29/2006 9:54 PM  
Blogger historymike said...

So close to the truth, Mac, that is like a cold wind sobering up a drunk leaving the bar at 2:00 AM.

1/30/2006 8:13 PM  
Blogger Sarah Elaine said...

Sorry! I guess when I figure since we're neighbours and we share a continent, that it doesn't count.

But you're right... I hang my head in shame...

I will check out the archives, definitely.

1/31/2006 1:23 PM  
Blogger Damien said...

Really really hanging on to see how this one works out, I mean a part of me is saying yeah Hamas ran some great social programmes but a larger part is saying watch out for the militants. Anyway at the moment I'm holding on to my breath.

1/31/2006 2:16 PM  
Blogger M A F said...

Mike, I try. Of course, I must say that I really appreciate the worded picture you have drawn.


Sarah, I know, being neighbors and all kind of dampens the sense of "internationalism."


Damien, very nice word play my fellow artist you. I too am very interested in seeing which way it goes...will the rest of the world allow Iran to feed and care for the gorilla?

2/01/2006 10:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home