20101022

Juan Williams and NPR

There is something missing in the recent furor of the firing of Juan Williams comments that he made to Bill O'Reilly. People are quick to condemn NPR for their actions. Williams of course doesn't see anything wrong with his comments. I see something very wrong with what Williams said as he echoed the spin of Bill O'Reilly.

Let's look at what Williams said.
"I mean, look, Bill, I'm not a bigot. You know the kind of books I've written about the civil rights movement in this country. But when I get on a plane, I got to tell you, if I see people who are in Muslim garb and I think, you know, they're identifying themselves first and foremost as Muslims, I get worried. I get nervous."

Excuse me Juan Williams, but you are in fact a bigot. What makes Williams comments the bigoted speech I have come to expect from hosts and guest of Fox News programs is the fact that the Muslim extremists who attacked the US on 9/11 didn't wear traditional Muslim attire, or Muslim garb.

Funny, you'd think that a credible newsman like Williams would be aware of the facts about terrorist attacks in this country. I would love for him to cite when an extremist Muslim terrorist was wearing Muslim garb? According to every act of terrorism that I have heard about in the past 10 years, the perpetrators were dressed in traditional western style clothes and not what the bigoted Juan Williams refers to as Muslim garb.

Juan Williams is a "liberal" apologist on Fox News. His appearance on O'Reilly's show only cements his role as Fox commentator. And now he is being rewarded for his loyalty to News Corp. and his own bigotry.

From my perspective Williams should be thanking NPR for firing him. Had they not fired him he would not have signed his contract for $2 Million dollars.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home