20060604

Till the well runs dry.


Till the well runs dry

I didn't listen to Bush's latest radio address on the manufactured importance of a marriage amendment, but I did think that I should at least read what he said and explicate those portions of the address that I thought interesting. So let's stop wasting time and start having fun!

Alright then lets jump to the second paragraph, third sentence. There is something strangely familiar about reading,
Marriage cannot be cut off from its cultural, religious, and natural roots without weakening this good influence on society. Government, by recognizing and protecting marriage, serves the interests of all.

I not really sure why it is, but these words had me thinking about what Bush has said on prior occassions about freedom and democracy.
I believe, firmly believe -- and you've heard me say this a lot -- and I say it a lot because I truly believe it -- that freedom is the almighty God's gift to every person, every man and woman who lives in this world. That's what I believe.

Ok, moving along...Bush obviously doesn't have much faith in the role of judges in our democratic nation. Bush is mighty upset with the legal rulings in five different states, Washington, California, Maryland, New York and (say it aint so) Nebraska.
Unfortunately, activist judges and some local officials have made an aggressive attempt to redefine marriage in recent years. Since 2004, state courts in Washington, California, Maryland, and New York have overturned laws protecting marriage in those states. And in Nebraska, a federal judge overturned a state constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage.

Did you catch how the first four states, blue states have "activist judges." While Nebraska, a red state doesn't have an "activist judge" so much as one that just "overturned" a constitutional amendment.

As I read through Bush's fear laden diatribe it became rather obvious that Bush just might be more worried about the acceptance of gay marriage in this country than another terrorist attack,
The Defense of Marriage Act declares that no state is required to accept another state's definition of marriage. If that act is overturned by activist courts, then marriages recognized in one city or state might have to be recognized as marriages everywhere else. That would mean that every state would have to recognize marriages redefined by judges in Massachusetts or local officials in San Francisco, no matter what their own laws or state constitutions say.

Are you scared yet? What will it take for you to be so afraid of gay people getting married? Worse still is knowing that Bush feels comfortable enough to play the "gay-card" in an effort to manipulate rally, his parties most loyal and faithful adherents. Remember,
[a]s this debate goes forward, we must remember that every American deserves to be treated with tolerance, respect, and dignity.

Of course, actually living up to the ideals of tolerance, respect and dignity is something that is remembered by Bush to be used as a wedge issue. Like the title of the cartoon and this post, Bush and the Republican party will use this issue till the well runs dry.



______________________________________________________

Allow me to take the time to mention that this my 400th post, on my 1 year anniversary. Of those 400 posts, roughly 320 of them contained cartoons. While my cartoons are predominately black and white, the first time I used color in one of my cartoons goes back to July of 2005. It is only recently that I have offered up something other than just black and white.

I'd like to thank all of you, the 10,000 or so visitors (particularly the half-dozen regulars) that have taken a moment, (literally a second in some cases) of their time to visit. (Truly the most depressing statistic provided by the hit counter is time visited.) Maybe next time others will leave a little more of themselves behind in the form of comments instead of just the tracking information of my hit counter. I am not adverse to you blogrolling me.



, , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't put too much faith in that hit counter stuff. Some people stay more than a second and the time just isn't recorded.

Keep up the good work. :-)

6/04/2006 3:52 PM  
Blogger historymike said...

Agreed with Kate; the hit counters can be inaccurate.

And it's all a matter of perseverance, too. Eventually you will break through.

I see that your Google Page Rank is now a "4," which is quite respectable for a year.

You are also competing for traffic in a overpopulated genre: political blogs.

This is a unique site with great content and a ton of potential. When I think a litle more I will offer you some ideas on building traffic.

6/06/2006 8:08 PM  
Blogger historymike said...

One quick thing - make use of Technorati tags.

These are hidden instructions you add to your post that the Technorati search engine uses.

Technorati will send you probably 15 visitors a day, but the better part of Technorati tags is that other sites (like Topix.net) read the tags and add your post.

I get 3-4 times as many visitors from some of these ancillary Technorati tag readers as I do from Technorati.

Also - be sure to manually ping Technorati every time you update your post. There is a way to set your Blogger account to ping Technorati for you, but a manual ping gets your site visited by a Technorati bot much quicker.

You can join and be a member, or just ping without joining.

6/06/2006 8:22 PM  
Blogger M A F said...

Thank you Kate and Mike for your support and the information. I have been avoiding the use of tags for a while now. I suppose that it is time to give it a try. I have nothing to lose and visitors to gain.

6/06/2006 10:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

que mierda esta wea

6/22/2006 9:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home